13 Minutes | Eiger
- Screening Dates: 5th May, 8.15pm // 12th May, 6pm
- Starring: Christian Friedal, Katharina Schuttler
- Directed by: Oliver Hirschbeigal
- Running time: 116 mins
- Rating: M - violence, contains torture scenes
- Language: German with English subtitles
DRAMA: The breath-taking and true story of a man who nearly would have changed the world if only he had had thirteen minutes. The amount of time which elapsed between Adolf Hitler leaving the Munich hall where he was delivering a speech in November 1939 and the detonation of the bomb which had been planted there.
The film flashes back and forth with confessions by the failed assassin Georg Elser [Christian Friedel] from the time of his apprehension and interrogation at the hands of the Gestapo till his eventual death. We see Georg’s unease living in Hitler’s Germany and how his instinctive non-party leftism and unhappy affair with married lover Else Harlen [Katharina Schuttler] led to the action that has since elevated him to that of a German resistance hero of the Second World War.